The Northern Ireland BloodBowl League Experience

Welcome to Nibble, hopefully to be Northern Ireland's favourite BloodBowl forum for making leagues or finding players.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Random Mutations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
colmo
Admin

PostSubject: Random Mutations   Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:55 pm

Years ago, I proposed a roster on TBB for a Chaos Marauder roster. I created a new skill/team rule called Mark of Chaos - it allowed players to choose a random mutation instead of a normal skill. Once you chose the mutation, you had to accept what the dice told you it was! I felt it was very in-keeping with the spirit of Chaos (the clue's in the name!)

I'm thinking of trying this out on a Pact team - its purely voluntary, though I did ask James if he could rule that players gaining Very Long Legs by this random method could then have access to Leap as a normal skill instead of a double. A Beastman with this combo would be deadly with Horns, but a Marauder, I think, would not be overpowered. Otherwise, I'd reroll mutations that came up as VLL.

To this end, I'm shopping for plastic Marauders too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duce
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:30 am

maybe make the requirement:

If the person gets Very long legs as a random mutation then, and only then can they access leap as a normal skill. Test run it Colin, shouldnt be a problem espcially since there are 10 random mutations you're not likely to get VLL's that much since you'll be needing other non mutation skills too.

Last edited by Duce on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nibble.playsboard.com
colmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:20 am

I suppose the trick is to go for the mutation early, as it then dictates the development of the player. Random skills too would be brutally difficult!

The other option would be to make mutations a random product of skill rolling - say, a skill roll of 7 (probability of 1/6) means a random mutation is rolled, but that may greatly slow the appearance of mutants!

Lastly, as doubles are not of great value to Marauders due to wide skill access, I'll reserve the right to pick mutations on a double!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GJP
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:26 am

There was a thing on the TFF forum about if you pick a mutation skill up, roll a d6

1 = chose a mutation skill
2 - 4 = random mutation skill
5 = two random mutation skills
6 = chose one mutation skill and a random second mutation skill.

I got to say I quite liked the idea. Full cost for each skill.

Another thing you could do, is if you get Very Long Legs randomly, instead of giving access to leap on a normal roll, increase the movement by 1 like in the 3rd ed rules. I think they changed it cause it made Gutter Runner 1 turners too easy to get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
colmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Some interesting ideas - 1/3 chance of acquiring 2 mutations on one roll strikes me as a bit good, though as none of the mutations are particularly powerful, possibly ok.

I liked the way VLL got worked on to become the Slann skill it is now. Unfortunately, there are no non-stunty players with Ag 3, Ag skill access and M access to profit from it, though Gutter Runners would.

Not sure which way to go with VLL - Leap access seems fairest and has logical consistency, while +1 MV is a better option on its own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
colmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:35 pm

My original TBB post on Random Mutations
Back to top Go down
View user profile
colmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:18 am

I've now bought 16 marauders - no extra torsos or legs, but lots of extra heads and arms, ideal for Chaosifying the kit plastic Humans. Very Long Legs will come from Kroot sprues I have.

I of course left the box in Fermanagh, so won't see it again until November as I'm off on holiday in just over a week.

The Big Guys are all Heresy - Ogre, Minotaur and Cyclops (the Troll). The Marauder shields can make belly plates, and add to the Chaos imagery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duce
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:29 am

I'm keen to see how you model the mutations. 16 marauders should be enough to fill your needs for a long time esp if using the renegades and big guys.
Back to top Go down
colmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:13 am

Bilerot and Lewdgrip may make appearances for Foul Appearance and Tentacle respectively.

Extra Arms is the hardest one to model, as a stuck on arm would just look wrong. I could cut-n-shut 2 torsos (wish I had spares of those!), for a 4 arm model. Two Heads is the same, but the torsos cut vertically from one side of the neck to the naval. There's reference material too - real conjoined twins (girls in the USA iirc.)

Disturbing Presence and Foul Appearance don't have to be modelled - they can be done in paint. Disturbing Presence can be done in lots of ways too - he can smell weird, give others the creeps, flicker brightly or let rip like a fog-horn!

Tentacle and Prehensile Tail are the easiest conversions to make - a wire tapped into the model, wrapped in putty and textured. Claw and Big Hand are just hand swaps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rodge

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:38 am

colmo wrote:

Disturbing Presence can be done in lots of ways too - he can smell weird,
Are you planning to dip the model into something smelly to represent this???? Smile

Agree that some mutations can look poor if not done well.
I thought that the Gaspez Arts marauders looked pretty good. Their extra arms player for example looks well done: http://www.gaspez-arts.com/?go=details&id=104

Two headed characters would be the toughest ones to model.
And if you did get roll a double, you'd certainly take dodge and aim for 2-heads the next time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duce
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:03 am

cut a head in 2 slightly off angle and glue them together, 2 heads morphing form one
Back to top Go down
colmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:08 am

Rodge wrote:
colmo wrote:

Disturbing Presence can be done in lots of ways too - he can smell weird,
Are you planning to dip the model into something smelly to represent this???? Smile

Not a bad idea! I could use some nasty aftershave or perfume to avoid causing illness to one or both coaches...

Rodge wrote:

Agree that some mutations can look poor if not done well.
I thought that the Gaspez Arts marauders looked pretty good. Their extra arms player for example looks well done: http://www.gaspez-arts.com/?go=details&id=104

I had that model in mind when I thought of Extra Arms - you need all the extra musculature for the arm, not just the limb itself. If they weren't so expensive, I'd bulk out the side with Gaspez models.

Rodge wrote:

Two headed characters would be the toughest ones to model.
And if you did get roll a double, you'd certainly take dodge and aim for 2-heads the next time!

Dodge does practically pick itself as a double skill for Chaos Pact - it works well with all the mutations. In special cases, I might use them to pick a mutation.

Duce wrote:
cut a head in 2 slightly off angle and glue them together, 2 heads morphing form one
I've seen that on the Chaos mutation sprue. It's an option, certainly. Could also go for one head with two faces, one on the back!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Mutations   

Back to top Go down

Random Mutations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1